Saturday, November 3, 2007

Sitting at Sonic Surrounded by Sovereignty

Last night we arrived at my son’s first high school basketball game in a distant country town and we were 3 hours early…woohoo!...unusual for me as I struggle being late so much of the time…and Sonic was one block away…even better…so I cruised into Sonic alone…but I wasn’t Alone…

And I sat there and realized that I layed down my Bible to get into my SUV and didn’t pick the Book back up…oh no…then I remembered that I had a journal with me where I had been jotting down verses God had been speaking to me…soooooo

I sat still and said to my beautiful God….would you just speak to me…would you just tell me Your Thoughts, higher than my thoughts. I’m listening and looking over these verses…

For the next couple of hours I just sat and listened and tried to still my wearied heart, my lonely heart…and my beautiful God so showed up…He is always right here if we just return, just come. Draw near to our good God…as it says in Hebrews 10:19-22 “Enter the Most Holy Place and draw near with a sincere heart cleansed from a guilty conscience.” “The Nearness of my God is my good.’

I read a quote by Spurgeon this morning about Deut 33 that said that when you think that underneath you are the Everlasting Arms, that the Hebrew word actually means God is above you, around you, and underneath you. Surrounded!

So I am sitting at Sonic surrounded by Sovereignty! Ohhh!

I don’t pretend to know my good sovereign God any better than you do but it seemed to me as I listened to Him that this is what I heard Him say to me…and I just loved every minute of it.

The first Sonic thought that came to me was that my awesome Holy God is changing me and it is so GOD. I am not the person I was last month much less last year. For just like a leper can’t heal himself, a leopard can’t change the spots on his coat, neither can we who are accustomed to doing evil, make a change. It seemed to me God was saying that He has given me unbelievable insight as our family has walked through the most difficult year of our lives. But, He whispered to me--- insight doesn’t change you…it’s God! It’s God who changes us and that can’t be explained in any other way. And I am so absolutely eternally unbelievable grateful to Him for changing me! I have thought so much this year about what causes really deep change…it’s happening to me and I am so so so grateful to my loving awesome holy beautiful God.

Then, it seemed to me at Sonic, maybe, that my glorious God was saying that He is putting in me a Strength that people cannot disrupt, nor destroy, nor dent…did you hear how I put “maybe.” I wouldn’t want you to think more highly of me than what is really there. But I am seeing that when people disrupt my peace or intimidate me, I am finding a Rest I have not known. My friend the other night hurt me so deeply and I shared with my friend how much that hurt but didn’t stop there…no one can disrupt us unless we let them. And I went on to find a REST in my sovereign God. Draw near to Him even when things are not going right…and a deep heart desire to have compassion on that person came… and love for them rose up in my heart as I repented of my old ways of making them feel bad about what they had done to me. Hosea 11:8 – “my heart is changed within me; my compassion is aroused and I will not carry out my fierce anger nor will I turn on them or devastate them.” Either we are advancing our own kingdom or advancing the Kingdom of our King.

And then the verse came to my mind---He is abundantly available in tight places as it says in one of the versions of Psalms 46:1 says ‘God is our Strength, a very present help in times of need.’ And, oh, how I need Him so in my desperation. And there is a shift occurring at Sonic, really in me, that instead of pitching my tent and camping out at how I feel, I am wondering how He feels about me…

I feel deserted…but He is delighting in me. Isaiah 62:4, 19
I am sought after by a Wise God…so put away the sin in my right hand Job 11:13---jealousy over what is happening for others, not for me. Too many thoughts like that have pranced in my mind this week. Isaiah 44:20 - "Is not this thing in my right hand a lie?"--- if I think that my good God is not making it happen for me or my children. What is life for me? Things working out. How curved in on my own thinking.

The Message in Ephesians 6 says that we are in a life & death fight to the finish. For keeps. And John 13:37 jumped out at me---God is bringing some blank spaces in my life...don't fill in the blanks. The verse says---"Why can't I?"...don't fill in the blank...

Open my eyes to receive - Acts 26:18
Hold my head up high, please, my sovereign good God Psalm 3:3

Still sitting at Sonic...but I'll have to tell you the Sonic conclusion tomorrow...I just came home from an hour morning walk on the Trinity River that made a surprising detour. I was listening to a podcast from John Piper on "The Glory of God" and was so absorbed in it that I walked and jogged 1 1/2 hours one way down the river and then I had to get back!!!!!!!! So my one hour walk/jog turned into a three-hour 10 mile walk. So, I am a little bit behind on today...but it was a great podcast! And I listened to all this new music I downloaded. I was the one on the Trinity Trail smiling, crying, and screaming on the inside with JOY to my Glorious God. He was all over that trail this morning!

16 comments:

Fran 11/03/2007  

"He whispered to me--- insight doesn’t change you…it’s God! It’s God who changes us and that can’t be explained in any other way."

I just loved this. It does come from Him. It's all Him. We can only do so much as humans. But, He will come through and change us.
We can gain wisdom through something, but ultimately that beautiful change comes from His hands, His ways, His revealing, His heart doing the magnificent work.

Thank you for this most beautiful word between you and our God. And, He will meet us anywhere. Even at Sonic. I just love Him so.
What beautiful hours you had with Him.

Bless you friend.
Hugs~
Fran

Holly 11/03/2007  

Wish I could have walked near you and had the same kind of time with Him. OH what a wonderful LORD you have described and encountered. He's mine, too. I pray that out of His glorious riches He will continue to show you how wide and deep and high and long is His very strong and accomplisshing love towards you, my friend Bev! I will call soon. We have had much on our plate.
Love you much and praying for you,
holly

Unknown 11/04/2007  

I appreciated what you shared on Sue's blog. Thank you for sharing!

jen 11/04/2007  

I so love this post! Girl you are filled up and I love you for it! It's so neat that you talked about Sonic... my husband is a manager of a Sonic here in Abilene. When I need a break sometimes I will load the boys up, drive to Sonic and just sit and eat some tots while the boys make silly faces at daddy through the glass. :) God gives me peace in the form of "monkey faces" smushed up against my front window, in front of Sonic. Priceless. :)

Connie Barris 11/04/2007  

I wished we could sit down to tea and talk about this.. because I so needed to hear this... .and I so know this experience ...

God is like that ... showing up in the most unusual places...but NEEDED places... where we call His name...

yes, I would love to sit and talk to you about how much we are loved and how awesome He is...

love ya
Connie

Kristin 11/04/2007  

I love that your posts and even your comments are always so full of God's word. You have undoubltly "hidden his word in your heart" as He commands, and it is a blessing to me. I love those encounters with the Lord where His presence is so felt and his voice is heard. It is such a moutaintop experiece to know we are loved like that by the King. I studied this verse this week in my BSF lesson and when I came here tonight and read your post it reminded me of you ~ "What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ and be found in Him..." Phil 3:8
Praying you continue to find all that you are worth in Him ~ Kristin

connorcolesmom 11/04/2007  

I love God moments like that!!
God loves to meet us where ever we are anytime - He just wants us to be still and listen.
Thank you for sharing I can feel God's love shining through your words right to me!
God bless,
Kim

Shonda 11/05/2007  

I love how HE is ever present in our lives. Thanks for sharing this.

Blessings in Christ--

Jenny 11/05/2007  

When I am on a walk, all by myself, sometimes that is when I feel closest to my Jesus. Thank you for your beautiful words!

Unknown 11/05/2007  

HI, again! I would actually love to hear your "ministry" story, as my husband and I have gone through our hard times with churches/ministry, and have come to a place in our lives where we are finally settled into a ministry among college kids, at a Christian college (we live on campus, and are the on campus "parents") we've been here about 13 years. When my husband graduated from seminary, we imagined ourselves in church ministry. God had other plans for us, and I am so grateful. God's plans are always best, even though getting "there" can be painful at times. I just sensed from your comment on Sue's blog that you all have been through some hard times. I would be interested in your story!
GOD BLESS.

Patriot 11/05/2007  

New giveaway at my site this week - come check it out! Thanks!

AbbyLane 11/05/2007  

mmmmm love this :)
you are so great...so glad for your victory with Jesus at sonic :)...i had one at starbucks the other day :D...hehehe...proof that Jesus has good taste ;) hahahaha...sorry i'm delirious...too much chocolate today :D hope you're great

love you sweet friend!!!

Alana 11/05/2007  

Wow a three hour work out! You should be set for the week!

Thanks for sharing your insights and scripture!

Toknowhim 11/06/2007  

Bev,

Sorry it took so long to respond.. I went on a weekend trip to Florida. The "In other words" meme is found on the CWO website (Christian Women Online). You can just click on the "IOW" button and it will direct you to the site. I am on my way out, but cannot wait to read this post that I am commenting on. I will be back later.. Blessings...

Toknowhim 11/06/2007  

Bev,

LOVE YOUR HEART!!! I just love when people KNOW that God speaks to them, and that He loves them so. You make me smile!!! I understand the change thing...

Holly 11/06/2007  

You are a dear friend to me! I am thanking the LORD for you right this moment and praying for you, friend.

God was good to give me a friend in you!

Will call tomorrow to tell you some happy and good news!
Love,
Holly

Praying for Our Friend Joanne Psalm 131:3 Waiting on God. Hope Now. Hope Always.

House of Blessing Tribal Childrens Home

House of Blessing Tribal Childrens Home
"Whoever welcomes a little child in My Name, welcomes Me." Matthew 18:5 We have posted pictures of the orphans receiving their gifts from you. Scroll down to the post entitled "Today Was the Big Day." Many orphans didn't own anything of their own, but now do, because of you.

My Family

My Family
Britt, Blair, Bev, Bob, Brooke, Barrett

Contact

I've met some amazing women through blogging. I would love to hear from you. My personal e-mail is:
sixbrandons@gmail.com
I have another blog where I blog daily as a small group of us read through the New Testament this year. It's called A String of Pearls. We carry each other on mats (when we just can't walk anymore) to Jesus and sweet things like that.

Followers

My Blog List

Search This Blog

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Site Meter

Especially Designed for Bev by

Photobucket

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008