Thursday, April 10, 2008

WAFTEP - We Are Far Too Easily Pleased

Whew...what blew through Dallas last night?? A spectacular light show INSIDE my house! The lightning and thunder were maybe one second apart---dead center storm. But it was the unbelievable lightning that was breathtaking and I kept pulling the covers over my head and listening for sounds of little feet ... remembering what it was like when the kids were little and they would show up at the door terrified. But my grown children slept right through it last night! I kept plotting how I could rescue them if the house caught on fire---sometimes I am too obsessive! Let the house burn but I'm getting those kids out.

We have power but our school has none. School's out!! So, all I can do is laugh when I say, my job fell through again today. No work, no money for today. So, I came into the study to check my e-mail and found something I have been thinking about for over a month! I can't tell you how excited I am! I've been asking God to help me find this ONE QUOTE for weeks...how do you find one quote in the mass of writers??? I thought I knew the author. I've asked. I've searched. I've skimmed. I've prayed. Please let me find that quote, God! There it was this morning in my INBOX. It was from fellow blogger Jean, who has no blog, but leaves great comments where I go.

So whether it's a verse or a thought or advice or a word you want to share with me---GO RIGHT AHEAD!!!! My beautiful God is so showing up in my life to lift my head and encourage me in bleak circumstances. My job testing students with accommodations fell through cause the school can't find any power. That's never happened in 18 years in a row of going there. What's up? I don't know. All I know is this. He holds my life together as HE says in Colossians. And I believe I am seeing things I have never seen before. I am alive in ways I have never been before. There's a great quote that says I believe in Christianity, and that my God is alive in me, just as I believe that the sun has risen this morning in my city. Not only because I saw that Fort Worth sun rise, but because by it I see everything else. So grateful to Him for eyes that see beyond the moment. No way I could do that. Ephesians 1:17 - may HE continue to open the eyes of our hearts by His resurrection power that we really see life as it is and can be.

Read the next post how HE keeps speaking the same verses to me over and over.... and then you bloggers tell me the same thing and it so touches my soul! Over 30,000 verses and God lays on your heart something for me. But life is not about my story, it's about being lifted up into His story and finding HIM today. And I so want HIM more than life. May we all go "flesh" our lives out today for things of eternal value, not this life.

So what will we do on our snow day with no snow! I'm looking for a job! And, we're going to the Mavericks must-win bsketball game tonight, complimentary of some pretty wonderful folks. Britt gets to "shoot around" with the players before the game cause of some awesome contest thingy so come back tomorrow for pictures with Dirk. What a perk.

So, what's the quote you ask? Here it is. It's the last six words that stick with me. I think about those six words a lot as I reflect on my life, my motives. Sixbrandons says: May those six sink surprisingly surreptitiously into your sweet soul.

Here's the quote: “We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. WE ARE FAR TOO EASILY PLEASED.” C.S. Lewis

11 comments:

Holly 4/10/2008  

Enjoy your holiday at the sea, my friend. God has some wonders to show you, some displays of His might and power. Keep your eyes focused on Him--He will NOT let you fall. I know.

With love and prayers,
holly

Jean 4/10/2008  

Most of the time, Bev, you leave me speechless. When I came across this quote, my first thought was to send it to you, Annette, and my daughter, Kelly. Then I thought, oh Bev probably already has it somewhere because she reads a lot of C.S. Lewis. You almost didn't get it! The last 6 words were the ones that spoke to me also....me, personally. I am far too easily pleased, and God has so much more for me than I can ever think or imagine. Oh, I love Him and thank Him so much for the wonderful friends He brings into my life.

Enjoy your day, sweet Bev. I'm sure we will all be praying for you as you job hunt today.

Mmmmm, I'm sure I should have known "basketball" and not "baseball!" Sorry! :-(

Love, Jean
PS How can someone who is speechless, say so much?

Jean 4/10/2008  

"pictures with Dirk....what a perk"

She's a poet too!!!!!!!!

:-)

Jean

Mary Lou 4/10/2008  

Bev, you are an inspiration to me and to all who read your postings. You are allowing Him to be the lifter of your head and you are looking to Him and no other source. He will hear and He will answer.One of my prayer partners gave me a word from the Word today and I'm giving it to you and to anyone else who reads this and needs it...It is Exodus 23:20...Behold, I am going to send an angel before you to guard you along the way, and to bring you to the place which I have prepared. I believe that is for you and I know it is for the situation we find ourselves. Which just changed again this morning. Oh, how thankful I am that He never changes. He is moving in your life. He has something wonderful planned for you and in my inner part I'm thinking it could be related to your husband's future job. Blessings on your day and your job hunt. Prayed for you about the storms...they are headed our way...Thank you for sharing like you do...

Bev Brandon @ The Fray 4/10/2008  

OH MY GOODNESSSSSSS.....
THERE YOU GO AGAIN MARY LOU....

YOU COULD NOT HAVE SHARED A BETTER VERSE WITH ME....

I HAVE A BOOK WHERE I KEEP ALL THE VERSES THAT GOD HAS SPOKEN TO ME...I HAVE DONE IT FOR QUITE A FEW YEARS....

WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE VERY FIRST VERSE IN THE BOOK IS???

EXODUS 23:20....thank you Mary Lou. It was the very first verse God gave me that verse eight years ago and I know the spot where it happened. AND PRAISE MY GOD, HE HAS BROUGHT ME TO A PLACE I KNEW NOT. AND HE WILL CONTINUE TO MAKE ME LIKE HIM. Isn't that what we were created for? Thanks so much Mary Lou, once again! Forget the blog... I think we are all going to be over to your house real soon to hear what else you know!!!!!!!!

annette 4/10/2008  

Everything can change so quickly but He is our guard as He takes us to new places IN Him. We settle sometimes, don't we, when we are far too easily pleased. I know He has bigger things planned for us all. Let us rise to that hope, and be found steadfast in Him. Your post made me really think how I settle then I read the comments and was doubly blessed. Is doubly a word? Oh well. double-y? How about surprisingly surreptitiously blessed? Love you, Annette

jennyhope 4/11/2008  

Amen Bev! I love you and love your sweet heart for the Lord. You are such an encourager to so many in spite of all that you have been through. You are precious in the sight of the Lord Bev. Thank you for being my friend! love jenny

BethAnne 4/11/2008  

I am loving that quote! So many times I HAVE been far too easily plesed. I pray that I am never pleased with anything less that Jesus!

Unknown 4/11/2008  

sweet ms. bev!!!! i have been thinking of you so much lately...and now i know why...
i don't what all to say, other than i'm praying for you. i really mean it.
there is a verse that has been on my heart for a while now, and then last week popped up in a handful of really special people to me. seems like something we are all supposed to be reminded of...so i will pass it on to you, even though i know you are already letting your heart be held by the one who made it.

"You will keep in perfect peace, him whose mind is steadfast because he trusts in you." Is. 26:3

love you ms. bev :)

Laura 4/11/2008  

That is such a good one, Bev. But then, C.S. Lewis never does waste words, does he? I am glad you are feeling better and now am joining in your prayer for work. The Lord will provide, my friend!
Bless you,
Laura

Alana 4/12/2008  

So many great C.S. Lewis quotes. My husband is reading the Narnia series to my oldest right now and he is LOVING it. Actually they both are.

Praying for Our Friend Joanne Psalm 131:3 Waiting on God. Hope Now. Hope Always.

House of Blessing Tribal Childrens Home

House of Blessing Tribal Childrens Home
"Whoever welcomes a little child in My Name, welcomes Me." Matthew 18:5 We have posted pictures of the orphans receiving their gifts from you. Scroll down to the post entitled "Today Was the Big Day." Many orphans didn't own anything of their own, but now do, because of you.

My Family

My Family
Britt, Blair, Bev, Bob, Brooke, Barrett

Contact

I've met some amazing women through blogging. I would love to hear from you. My personal e-mail is:
sixbrandons@gmail.com
I have another blog where I blog daily as a small group of us read through the New Testament this year. It's called A String of Pearls. We carry each other on mats (when we just can't walk anymore) to Jesus and sweet things like that.

Followers

My Blog List

Search This Blog

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Site Meter

Especially Designed for Bev by

Photobucket

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008