Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Baccalaureate

There I sat at my baby's baccalaureate.  Never had been to one.  I went early and sat quietly alone in this beautiful pristine church building graced with gorgeous stained-glass arched windows.  The afternoon sun peeked into my heart of memories.  Thought about the church where I grew up with its stained-glass stately windows that I would gaze at every day of my life as my parochial school required us to attend church every morning.  Even in those quiet moments, prayers under my breath went up to a then-distant God.  Not anymore.  He's near to me this day and I'm so grateful.  Somehow, HE has filled me with the Knowledge of His Will and I know things today I didn't know even last week.  How those shifts occur, IDK??  But, it's happening and I am ever so grateful to a Good God in the midst of some confusion and a little chaos.

So, I celebrate this precious boy God has given to his dad and me. This high school graduation is not what I live for---it's just a page of his life turning.  He has been such a joy to raise.  It was a miracle Britt was born.  We went through 7 years of infertility.  Then, one day, I touched his toe for the first time.  Ecstatic.  The troubled pregnancy had about done me in with fear I couldn't manage.  Overwhelming pain.  God was about to step in...and HE did! I was far more concerned about being delivered from my pain than delivered from my darkness. Not right.

Britt attacks life with humility and kindness and such respect for his parents and others.  I couldn't say enough good things about this child and all the good that God has stirred up inside of him.  He's faced his hard times and come through well.  I've thought a lot about 2 Thes 1: 11,12 in raising him that God was answering every desire for what's right in his life. Today, I think a lot about 2 Tim 4:7 and will pray that verse for him til I go to my grave.  May he fight the good fight of faith in his young adult years.  May he finish the course God has set for him.  May he keep the faith!

Britt started swimming when he was 4 and competed for the next 13 years. He met his lifelong friends Ethan, Greg, Andrew and Ben in kindergarten.  The fab five will forever be friends. His junior year was interrupted by a Great Divide.  A very unexpected turn-of-God-events found my husband no longer on the church staff where we had served for 27 years or so.  We had nowhere to go and our Good God moved into my life in ways I could have never imagined.  But first, he brought me to another end of myself while Britt watched.  We were "graced with disaster that your soul requires to bring you back home." (SJoC).  I became alive in ways I had never been!  Then God moved us to a new church in Austin in one week's time.  Bob said we wouldn't go if God was not in it for Britt.  Britt saw it as part of his journey. We were only here a few short months when I was diagnosed with cancer.  Again, you watched and wondered if I would make it to your graduation. We found Hyde Park Baptist School, one of the largest private schools in Austin.  We knew no one.  Britt walked into the junior halls and hearts of kids like Nash and Dillon and the girls.  Unbelievable what God has done for us all. Nash will be his lifelong friend and they are going to be Longhorns together!  Here's Dillon, Britt and Nash at their 2010 Baccalaureate.

Son, your journey is not to graduate and get into the best schools with the most advantageous scholarships.  Your journey is a story in a Story.  There's a Divine Hero in all of this!!!

Britt's progress is not measured by his many achievements like getting a full-ride to the University of Texas or recognitions by huge companies like Coca Cola National Scholar or even being so loved and accepted by his Hyde Park classmates.  No, this journey is all about detaching from what claims our affections, what rules our lives, and attaching to the One Whom we were created to enjoy. Rev. 4:11.  This child has been so willing to deal with what's going on inside of him when he gets off course--- and live humbly.  Oh, that our Christ continue to be formed in him.  Gal. 4:19.


So, congratulations Britt as you walk the stage this Friday night.  I'll be there thinking about a kid in footed pajamas who stole my heart as a baby, and kept on loving his family for the past 18 years.  You've done what has been asked of you and so much more.  You spent about 2,000 hours in community service, not an easy thing to do while achieving all-state in four sports.  You raised over $5,000 and delivered good stuff to help displaced kids in Thailand.  You went to Boys State and HOBY and Youth and  Government every year.  And you didn't complain about such a heavy schedule, even SAR!  One line you wrote in your admissions essay stands out to this mom:  "Life is not about achievements but it's about making a difference in the life of a child.  It's about seeing the smile on the faces of kids like 11-year-old Nat whom we were able to help learn to walk for the first time in his life."

This mom will miss you more than you will ever know!  You'll be in the same town, but I'll just pretend that you went to the University of Nebraska like Barrett did and give you some space to learn and live and love. And if you ever want the best burger and shake, I'll meet you at Mighty Fine in a sec.  There's a new chapter to be written in your story in a Story!  As David's last words about his son, Solomon, say:  God, please give Britt a "true heart" that He may know you more.  1 Chron. 29:19.

2 Chronicles 36:23 - You belong to God.  Keep on returning home to Him!  May your God be with you at UT! Move forward!

8 comments:

Nise' 5/26/2010  

Wonderful tribute to your son, Britt. Congratulations Britt!

My youngest graduates next friday so I know your feelings!

annette 5/27/2010  

Oh, a mother's journey makes my heart ache. We always knew they'd grow up--by its definition, being a parent is a limited job. We are reminded they are entrusted to us, not ours to keep. I'm so proud of Britt and how he bravely walked away from FW and jumped in and finished well in Austin. He's an amazing guy and you are such good parents to him. You remind me to pray again continously over my own grown children--more my job as mom now than the physical doing things for them.
I also look forward to what all God has in store for you, Bev. Do you feel led to write and publish? God has given you such a gift with words and an amazing story to tell. My heart is with you, Bev, as you walk through the next few days and celebrate another passage. It's all good, part of His Plan A. Love you so, Annette

Mary Lou 5/27/2010  

What a beautiful, loving tribute. You are headed for a new season...the empty nest. It's not bad, believe me, I loved each age of my children and I love this "age" where they are grown, on thier own and with families of thier own. God is right there with you. I too know things about our great God that I did not know last week and I am in awe of Him. May God hear and answer and honor your prayers for your son as he steps forward into this next phase of his story. Know your mom's heart is full for he is your baby boy...Love you much, Mary Lou

Sylvia's Song 5/27/2010  

Bev, you continue to bless me richly getting to know you on line. I will never forget when I met you face to face in January at the SSMTC in Houston and sat right next to you. Thank you for allowing me the priviledge of getting to know you.

I'm with Annette...you defintiely have a gift for writing... I was richly blessed again as I read your Post for Britt. As I read your post I also reflected on the high school graduation of Les and my girls, Vicki and Valerie who are now married and have their own children. God is so good.

God's Plan A is so divine and I am thrilled that you are part of God's Plan A for me.

This is a Song I must sing of God's Amazing Grace, Mercy and Peace.

Sylvia

Fran 5/27/2010  

Just so beautiful. I know your momma's heart is full of so many emotions. Praying for you all Bev.
Love you much! How are you? I need to scroll down and read about you. ;)

Big big hugs,
Fran

Holly 5/28/2010  

Beautiful words. Beautiful mom. Beautiful heart for God!

Britt, we are so proud of you--though we have never met you face to face. We are praying for you to continue to run this race in integrity, honesty and a heart fully seeking God. Get involved in Campus Crusade--be accountable. Choose what you will and will not do before the opportunity arises. Do not even make a last minute decision--set your heart like flint for God-choices. For the opportunities are there at UT to do and to be whatever you choose. I know. And I wouldn't trade a day of UT and the things I learned the hard way, though I wish I had chosen differently. I love and need God all the more for it.

Go with God, Brother!

Sharon Brumfield 5/30/2010  

I know you are so proud of him. God has truly blessed you with children that have beautiful hearts....can't help but think that that has something to do with their parents. :)
Congrats to your boy!
I think of you often girl. Thanking God for His continued work in your life.
Don't know why- but I just picture Him bending low.. standing behind you with His chin almost touching your left shoulder...His is sweetly listening as your head is lowered in prayer.
Love you girl...He so much more.

Angela Baylis 5/31/2010  

You really do have a way with words, Bev! This was such a beautiful tribute. He is quite a young man! I'm sure he'll take you up on that offer of meeting for a burger and shake sooner than you think! You are a wise mother!
Much love,
Angie xoxo

Praying for Our Friend Joanne Psalm 131:3 Waiting on God. Hope Now. Hope Always.

House of Blessing Tribal Childrens Home

House of Blessing Tribal Childrens Home
"Whoever welcomes a little child in My Name, welcomes Me." Matthew 18:5 We have posted pictures of the orphans receiving their gifts from you. Scroll down to the post entitled "Today Was the Big Day." Many orphans didn't own anything of their own, but now do, because of you.

My Family

My Family
Britt, Blair, Bev, Bob, Brooke, Barrett

Contact

I've met some amazing women through blogging. I would love to hear from you. My personal e-mail is:
sixbrandons@gmail.com
I have another blog where I blog daily as a small group of us read through the New Testament this year. It's called A String of Pearls. We carry each other on mats (when we just can't walk anymore) to Jesus and sweet things like that.

Followers

My Blog List

Search This Blog

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Site Meter

Especially Designed for Bev by

Photobucket

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008