Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Cancer, College, and Choices

.This past month, our lives have been both beautiful and broken ... and bursting with opportunity to trust a very good God!   Here is the short text version:  Blair had a benign tumor removed from her thyroid. Britt chose UT and God so showed up for him.  And this month marks my one-year anniversary since being diagnosed with cancer.  My Love & Gratitude to each one of you!  The rest is just details...

  • Blair Faces Surgery...Met Blair in Dallas last week to have a rather large tumor removed from her thyroid. My nephew found the best surgical oncologist! He had some help!!  The Great Physician was in that operating room.  And, it could not have gone any better although the incision on her neck is much larger than we anticipated.  And what a great attitude Blair chose to have about that!  He removed half of her thyroid as well. The full pathology report came back yesterday and it is benign! We camped at my sister's house and God provided peace unbelievable!  When you watch your child suffer, there are no words.  Blair faced this with such courage and trust in a very good God.  She flew back to D.C. yesterday and went back to work today.  So grateful!!!!  Am I more concerned about being rescued from our pain or rescued from the domain of darkness?  Col 1:11-12
  • Britt Chooses UT...Britt ran his last track meet EVER this weekend. I have so LOVED being this kid's mom!  In just a few weeks, God will close the chapter of SCHOOL DAYS!  Britt graduates from high school on May 28th.  He will make the decision FINAL tonight that he is headed to the University of Texas.  A Longhorn---the team we always cheered against.  We even cheered for any team playing against UT, even if we didn't know them.  So, this one's a surprise.  We just want Britt to be where God wants him to be...our hands are open to Him.  Where does Britt's little life fall into the "Great Story of God's Mission"?? C.J.H.W. Praying for him to find a beautiful God at UT.
  • God Provides for Britt...Financial Peace is a course we worked on last year...we found out all the stuff we had done wrong.  Kind of hard to correct a lifetime of mistakes.  Grateful to a Gigantic God Who intervenes.  Our home has gone back to foreclosure again.  Trusting Him!  Meanwhile, Britt just interviewed with the Terry Foundation and was named a Terry Scholar.  This unbelievable philanthropist provides ginormous scholarships through the UT admission application process.  Little did we know that God was providing all along for Britt to be financed through his four years of college.  Plus, he has won some smaller scholarships---he has done well!   
  • God Carries Me Through Cancer...April marked my one year anniversary having cancer.  And, yes, I still say the word because my tumor markers show that it is still there.  And yes, I am asking HIM to say the Word and I will be healed! And, YES, I am doing very well!  But there is an evil greater than cancer within me.  If I choose to live for myself and to get my own way and make my life work...it's called selfishness, greed, arrogance.  A friend of mine calls it:  "courtesy without connection, laughter without love, weeping without worship."  Having cancer has been one of the best things that could happen to me as far as my relationship with God goes.  I'm not saying that I would ever want to go through it again.  I am saying that nothing has engaged me in the real battle in my soul like suffering has.  I just finished reading the story of Solomon in I Kings and in 66 Love Letters.  I think a quote from that book captures for me some thoughts deep from my heart.  "The lesson to be learned from the wisest of men [Solomon] who became the greatest of fools is this:                     Leadership without a priority concern for personal holiness over effective management at best produces only outward success."  Life is not about faring the up's and down's.  The rejections and acceptances do not define who we are. We are His and HE is committed to our holiness!

16 comments:

Leah Adams 4/28/2010  

Praise God that your daughter is doing well and that your son has made a college choice. Whew!! Lots of emotions for your family.
Praying for continued peace in your heart as you walk the road the Lord has allowed in your life.

Leah @ The Point

Amanda 4/28/2010  

Bev, I'm so thankful for your daughter being cancer free. Praise God! And how wonderful to hear of God's provision for Britt at a really great school. I pray God uses him there in a mighty way! Well done to you, sweet sister, for fighting the good fight this year. God bless you!

Rhonda 4/28/2010  

Thought of you just the other day. Rejoicing in the cancer free, will pray for the little t-sipper any way:)

Toknowhim 4/28/2010  

I have been reading Larry Crabb's book too. In some ways that book has beat me up a little... showing me how I still seek the good life and a life without any kind of suffering or conflict rather than seek to live a holy life before God... I have a lot to learn...

You are so wise, and thank you for constantly reminding me through your own story what I need to do in my own life... I see Jesus in your life Bev!!!

So happy about your daughter too...

Love, Kim

Holly 4/28/2010  

I want to say this, Bev: You are my precious friend. I love you! I am challenged by you! And I am thankful, so thankful that God gave me both a friend and mentor in you. Thanks for "getting" me. I "get" you, too.

I thank God every day for bringing us together through blogging and the LPM blog. :) Really, I am so blessed to have a "with" friend named Bev!

Nise' 4/29/2010  

Praising Him for answered prayers in your family today!

Thank you for being vulnerable and sharing your life with us. God has taught me so much through "knowing" you Bev.

annette 4/29/2010  

Sharing your heart this year, through every trial, giving Christ the glory. I think you have found that elusive place that many in Christ never find-a peace regardless of circumstance and trial, a joy that can't be messed with, a fortitude that only comes from clinging to the Steady Rock, in the middle of the raging river of life. You are amazing, my friend, and so very loved.

Mary Lou 4/30/2010  

There is so much I want to say to you and I am having a hard time finding the words. It has been a joy and privelege to "know" you and walk with you thru the past two and a half years.....He is so refining you and you are submitting and you are reflecting Him more and more with each passing day. He is doing a beautiful work in you and yours and it so shows. You are becoming more and more pure "silver" every day...He has put you thru the fires and is skimming off the impurities and you are reflecting Him. You truly are and you bless my heart over and over. He is blessing you by letting you see Him do a work in your children's lives. Blessings on your week end and your life....love you...Mary Lou

Angela 4/30/2010  

Love you Miss Bev! Couldn't agree more about how much deeper my relationship is with our sweet Savior in the midst of life's most unimaginable circumstances! He is good!

Bev Brandon @ The Fray 5/01/2010  

That last comment came from a 20-something-year-old who just lost her 7-day-old baby from her arms to God's strong arms forever. Angela wants to really know HIM! He's first in her life and her God is good! Her comment reminded me of a quote from the book we are reading on my other blog, 66 Love Letters: "My plan is moving ahead in the worst of times. Don't make it your goal to change bad times to good. Pray for that, of course, and do all you can to improve the world in which you live. But above all else, seek to know Me better and to represent Me well in every circumstance, no matter how you feel."

Dee 5/03/2010  

Bev, I praise the Lord upon every remembrance of you. You encourage and inspire me by the Holy Spirit within you. I'm grateful for the blessings you spoke about regarding your daughter and your son and your cancer. I just read your post this morning and I had earlier read the LPM blog. It surely fits together.
Thanks for sharing your life. The Lord continue to bless you.
Love, Deidra

Sharon Brumfield 5/05/2010  

What a journey!
I once heard Beth Moore say that nobody wants to read a novel that does not have suspense, drama and then a happy ending.
You know.....He is writing a wonderful story. One that we will celebrate throughout eternity.
And although I admit that it would be nice to have a few chapters of all is well and there are no troubles on the horizon......I pray that we would be found faithful to have never exchange comfort for His glory.
You encourage my heart girl. And although I know you are not perfect.....He is using your life story in such an amazing way.
Thankful for all He has done in your life....but most of all thanking Him that He is THE FAITHFUL ONE. He will complete that which He has begun.
Love you sister

TJ 5/07/2010  

Thank you for sharing. I just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for an the sunshine award. You can see it at my blog. Blessings to you and your family.

Solid Rock or Sinking Sand 5/10/2010  

What a great witness to the world. May our Lord continue to shine through you and your blog. God's blessings. Lloyd

Jackie 5/11/2010  

So blessed by your blog and following along with you now!

HE IS FAITHFUL!!!

Sweet Blessings!
Jackie

twinkle 5/26/2010  

This is definitely a time to reflect on the marvelous Hand of Jesus Christ over your family. I know you have been given a wild stallion of life to ride for a while now. It is a scary ride...fast, unpredictable, and furious. But nothing compares to the Great Wildness of Our Good God. He takes us places we would never go on our own. His nostrils flare at the abundant life we live with abandon. In Christ. I am so glad you opened the door to Him so widely. You ARE a new person in Him. I am praising God for your family. Wish we could celebrate all His Deep LOVE and TRUST together as you turn more fascinating pages in the story of your life. Do you realize that you are writing your very own Love Letter to Jesus? I'm breathless remembering how short I've known you and how blessed I am to know you now.
Laugh Out Loud...you Proverbs 31 jewel to our Good God! I thank Him for giving you this testimony!

Praying for Our Friend Joanne Psalm 131:3 Waiting on God. Hope Now. Hope Always.

House of Blessing Tribal Childrens Home

House of Blessing Tribal Childrens Home
"Whoever welcomes a little child in My Name, welcomes Me." Matthew 18:5 We have posted pictures of the orphans receiving their gifts from you. Scroll down to the post entitled "Today Was the Big Day." Many orphans didn't own anything of their own, but now do, because of you.

My Family

My Family
Britt, Blair, Bev, Bob, Brooke, Barrett

Contact

I've met some amazing women through blogging. I would love to hear from you. My personal e-mail is:
sixbrandons@gmail.com
I have another blog where I blog daily as a small group of us read through the New Testament this year. It's called A String of Pearls. We carry each other on mats (when we just can't walk anymore) to Jesus and sweet things like that.

Followers

My Blog List

Search This Blog

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Site Meter

Especially Designed for Bev by

Photobucket

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008