Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Lenten Devotionals

Like many, I grew up observing Lent for the first 18 years of my life.  For me, it was more about giving up stuff. But tomorrow, as we begin the Lenten season, it will be more about "letting go" of things and looking truthfully at what is happening in my heart as I walk through life.  It will be about finding God in the midst of my mess.  A Good God.  A Holy God.  A Glorious God.

Larry Crabb has a new book called 66 Love Letters and there are about 20 of us reading through the Bible together and using his 66 Love Letters book as a devo guide to unpack the truth in each book. You can click on AString of Pearls blog in the top left column of this page to still jump in and join us there.  

But I wanted to let you know that Larry is offering daily excerpts from his 66 Love Letters book through a free e-mail service, a short reading for reflection every day during Lent's forty days (except Sundays) starting Wednesday February 17 and ending on Easter April 4th..  Just click (or copy and paste) the following LINK and subscribe by e-mail:  http://www.66loveletters.cgrantandcompany.com/

I am free today in ways I never dreamed because of my friend, Larry Crabb.  Larry has given me courage to face what is going on in my heart and has helped me find God in ways I could have never imagined.  I encourage you to take a look at his new book by subscribing to the free Lenten e-mails as we prepare our hearts for Him!

I'll end with one of the lines from the first chapter of his book 66 Love Letters:  "I want you to realize that I never underestimated how thoroughly you'd mess up your life or how painfully you would struggle and suffer, and I don't want you to underestimate your failures or struggles either.  They're all part of the story I'm telling.  But neither have I underestimated my determination or ability to enter the mess you've made and the pain you feel and turn everything around.  I can, and I will, make everything good again.  Never underestimate Me!"


7 comments:

Leah Adams 2/17/2010  

Wow, what a quote!! I've got to get this book. Sounds like it has my name written all over it. Thanks, Bev.

Leah

Mary Lou 2/17/2010  

Thanks for the link Bev. This book does have my name written all over it. I have recommended it to lots of people. It speaks to my heart over and over. Just as He speaks to my heart thru yours. Between, 66Love Letters and a study I am doing on prayer..Live A Praying Life by Jennifer Kennedy Dean...He is really speaking to me, along with the scripture of course. First I let the Bible read me and then the other two and they are going hand in hand with the scripture to right where I am in my life today. God is so good. Blessings...may the sun be shining in Austin, as it appears to be going today in Memphis...

Rhonda 2/17/2010  

So good to hear from you. I was just thinking of you the other day & wondering how things were going. The book sounds wonderful, and freedom is always a great thing! Have a good day.

Anonymous 2/17/2010  

Thanks so much. Looking forward to the e-mails. I simply looked through my blog roll this morning for the word Lent. It's not a lot of us that participate, but in my eyes it's not about religion or choice. It's about God and simply taking this time to walk closer with Him. I'm giving up Facebook for Lent. To some I know that sounds silly, but it comes between me & God & me and who I SHOULD be every single day. I can sit & click for hours on end without accomplishing anything purposeful. Thank you again so much for this link. I've signed up & look forward to the daily excerpts! Here's to a closer walk with Thee... Blessings...... =)

annette 2/17/2010  

Letting things go is a beautiful step toward holiness. He loves your beautiful seeking heart, Bev.

I have a friend who is Baptist who searched out a place to observe the Ash Wednesday services today for the first time. She felt she needed it, not really sure what all the journey would entail, but knowing God had something for her there.

I will be subscribing to Larry Crabb's devotionals, too. I have loved his insights and added dimension to our readings this year.

I feel like we are in a Lenten season ourselves as we read of the wilderness of the Israelites despite God's thick Presence among them. Transformation is near.

Love you so, Annette

Lindsee 2/17/2010  

Oh, letting things go. I love that. And I may just have to sign up for his emails! You're precious, Bev!

Lisa Smith 2/17/2010  

Bev, just droppin in to say hi and yes, i totally want to talk...maybe this would be a good week as we are heading to houston tuesday to begin the fight. please pray for insurance as Scott and White has not approved my surgery scheduled for next friday yet.

anyway, just wanted you to know when i can talk (form words again) i will call. i'm also praying for your oncologists (whoever God has), praising him for a good report, begging him to give you peace, peace, peace and to lead you where you need to go and to deliver healing in a mighty way to you.
love, love, love you!!

Praying for Our Friend Joanne Psalm 131:3 Waiting on God. Hope Now. Hope Always.

House of Blessing Tribal Childrens Home

House of Blessing Tribal Childrens Home
"Whoever welcomes a little child in My Name, welcomes Me." Matthew 18:5 We have posted pictures of the orphans receiving their gifts from you. Scroll down to the post entitled "Today Was the Big Day." Many orphans didn't own anything of their own, but now do, because of you.

My Family

My Family
Britt, Blair, Bev, Bob, Brooke, Barrett

Contact

I've met some amazing women through blogging. I would love to hear from you. My personal e-mail is:
sixbrandons@gmail.com
I have another blog where I blog daily as a small group of us read through the New Testament this year. It's called A String of Pearls. We carry each other on mats (when we just can't walk anymore) to Jesus and sweet things like that.

Followers

My Blog List

Search This Blog

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Site Meter

Especially Designed for Bev by

Photobucket

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008