Monday, December 29, 2008

Monday Morning Cover to Cover - December 29th Hebrews 1 - He holds all things together

I found a teeny tiny eatonville cafe that has wireless. It took about 45 minutes to warm up the computer so I'm staring out the sultry cafe window and what do I see??? S N O W...it's snowing outside. What delight! Pure joy! Baby, it's cold outside. So pristine and peaceful and pure white as snow. Stirs something deep inside of me and tears fall. From seventy degrees to snow. A precious moment for me as we came up to find a wireless connection to post a Monday Morning thought. It's the last Monday morning thought I'll post. It has been such a joy for me to read through the Bible with several of you this year. Here's my last meloncholy post...

DO I LONG TO BE UNDERSTOOD?
DO I LONG TO MATTER?
HE upholds the universe by the word of His power. He holds me up this moment, this circumstance. Or am I trying to hold myself together? “Pay much closer attention to what we have heard, lest we drift…” Heb 2:1. Pay attention to what God has said this year. I spent a lot of my Christian life thinking about how much I wanted to be understood, to matter in someone’s life, to belong, and be in charge of something of significance. But, now I long for the One Who understands me and my world; I long for the One Who matters more than anything; I long for the only One in charge of anything---the One Who holds me by the word of His power. It’s no longer about me holding things together.

AM I LIVING IN THIS PRESENT MOMENT?
“Today if you hear HIS Voice, do not harden your hearts.” Heb 3:15
So many of us are where we are this moment because of how we have handled our lives and the hurts over the years. A friend of mine wrote the following note: “I’ve yearned for my parents to give something they could never give me. I’ve sought for my sweetheart something that never fully finishes me and makes me complete. And in my dying age, I’ve tried to make my life a difference as I go to my homecoming and it still doesn’t fill me---even though I’m having a great ministry and an impact on my world---even if I’ve loved well. In all of this, I turn to the One to whom I owe my life, to whom I have found my life, and to Whom I have gladly given my life as an eager gift of all that I have, to the One I have come to adore. I feel grateful. I said He was not good, but He is. I’ve said He’s not here, but He is. I’ve accused Him of not loving, but He does. Everything is upside down, and yet in the face of Him, I see not the face of a scolder but One Who says, ‘Welcome! I’ve been waiting. The feast is prepared.’ “

DO I KNOW A REST THIS VERY DAY LIKE I’VE NOT KNOWN BEFORE?
“Let us strive to enter that rest…for the Word is living and active piercing our souls and discerning our thoughts and intentions. Nothing we do is hidden from His Sight, how foolish to think we are not seen and exposed and known for who we really are. Heb 4:11-13. So, if I don’t have rest in my soul this day, what will I do with that place in my heart? Will I just shove it down or will I enter it and embrace what is not of Him and repent more fully, more widely, more deeply. What I have loved about reading the Word chronologically with you all is that day after day we have opened the Word of God on our journey to read the historical story. But it is the Word of God that has read me and my thoughts and my intentions that don’t match up with His. I read but I am read and rest is revealed or released or recovered. He’s a beautiful God offering rest to each of us in this moment.

WHAT DO YOU WANT MORE THAN DRAWING NEAR TO GOD?
Heb 4:16 “Let us with confidence draw near to the throne of grace.” Whatever weakness we have, He is able to sympathize with that weakness, He says. So, if I choose this day not to draw near to HIM and all that means for my life, then there is something more important to me than following my Christ. Something more important than drawing near to our God. Our goals, our moments reveal what that is. Maybe it is my goals; maybe it is even just ruminating over what is not going right for me. Or, maybe it is a real circumstance that is not going my way. I have to take a look at what is not going my way and recognize that I am trying to make my life work. And God says in Heb 7:25 that when we draw near to Him, He always lives to make intercession for us. What a beautiful promise in our heartaches, in our dreams, in our longings, in our schemes.

WHY ARE MY HANDS DROOPING?
“Lift up your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet so that what is lame may not be out of joint but rather be healed.” Heb 12:12 Don’t let any root of bitterness spring up. Deal with present fray of your heart. The passage goes on to talk about Esau who sold his birthright for what he could see---a single meal. He found no chance to repent later even though he sought for it with tardy tears. Not all tardy tears are good. Tend to today’s tears. All those things that shakes our lives. One day God will remove all things that can be shaken in order that the things that cannot be shaken may remain. “Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken.” Heb 12:28. And let’s fall on our face and worship and speak the Word of God to our friends. Heb 13:7

On New Year’s Day (or any day after that), let’s post our final lingering thoughts for Cover to Cover from the Book of Revelations. Would love for you to share your thoughts about your journey in reading through the chronological bible this year.

6 comments:

Anonymous 12/29/2008  

Striving to enter that rest is my plan for the new year. My one word is contentment. Knowing satisfaction right where we are, like Paul, in every circumstance, is the gift of peace, to all who enter into that type of rest that only Christ can give. Everything becomes secondary to the pursuit of knowing Christ.
Bev, I cannot begin to express my heart for you this year as we have traveled through the Word together. Your words often convicted with the love that only Christ Jesus can convey. Your transparency and honesty makes His love more real to me, as He loves us right where we are, not in a perfect state, but in a tranformed from glory to glory state! Your walk blessed me beyond words, (though I try with lots of them) I love you, dear friend. Annette

Jean 12/29/2008  

Hello, dear Bev, I know I haven't posted often, but like Annette, your words and walk have blessed me beyond words, also. And, I, also, have been convicted more than once by the insight that the Holy Spirit has shown you. Thank you so very much for loving us and encouraging us to first and foremost seek out Him and nothing/no one else. I love you, too, dear Bev. Jean

beckyjomama 12/30/2008  

Bev ...

I love ya!

Anonymous 12/30/2008  

Oh Bev,

I remember finding your blog and in the late fall of 2007 and then our computer crashed and I lost all my bookmarks, etc. By God's Hand, I found you again and discovered Cover to Cover...I remember not wanting to commit completely because I didn't want to fail...but you were from day one to these final days so encouraging. I can't believe that we have come to the end and I can't express what being in His Word has meant to me...I really think writing the posts most weeks helped me to deepen the roots of His Word into my life and heart. It is amazing what can unfold in a years time and God has literally taken you to a new place but I know that not one of us is in the same place since starting this journey together.

So...thank you so much Bev for having such a sweet and tender heart for the Savior and for being so honest and vulnerable before us while always pointing to the Father.

I wrote a post called Better which are my thoughts on Hebrews and then I added an addendum at the end which is what lingered with me in Revelations...

Tomorrow brings those last 4 chapters...it has been a great year and I look forward to what God will reveal in the new one.

You are loved!

Helen

Nise' 12/30/2008  

I am so thankful to God for helping me find my way somehow to your blog and to join in reading chronologically this past year. What you said is so true, I found myself read as well and it resulted in a deeper relationship!!

Angela Baylis 1/01/2009  

Dearest Bev,
I am sorry I haven't commented on this post yet. I was in the worst place ever over the Holidays. I can't even explain it, but hopefully I will be completely back on track soon. I have been thinking about it so much today and I wonder if I didn't have some kind of expectation that when I finished reading the Bible cover to cover that I'd be finished. I thought God would be finished with me and either he would take me home to Him or I wouldn't have to worry about handling difficult situations. I thought I would finally "get it". Well, that didn't happen. In fact, Satan got a hold of me big-time. It took me forever to get to a place where I could even think about posting the last cover to cover. I know there was so much I didn't understand during our readings, but at least I can say I didn't quit. You know how many times I just wanted to give up. Anyway, all this to say... THANK YOU SO SO SO SO MUCH FOR HOSTING THIS. Will you please e-mail me your home address? I have something I want to send you! You have Blessed ME too beyond measure. I hope God Blesses you for your obedience!
So much love,
Angie xoxo

p.s. You are a beautiful lady!

Praying for Our Friend Joanne Psalm 131:3 Waiting on God. Hope Now. Hope Always.

House of Blessing Tribal Childrens Home

House of Blessing Tribal Childrens Home
"Whoever welcomes a little child in My Name, welcomes Me." Matthew 18:5 We have posted pictures of the orphans receiving their gifts from you. Scroll down to the post entitled "Today Was the Big Day." Many orphans didn't own anything of their own, but now do, because of you.

My Family

My Family
Britt, Blair, Bev, Bob, Brooke, Barrett

Contact

I've met some amazing women through blogging. I would love to hear from you. My personal e-mail is:
sixbrandons@gmail.com
I have another blog where I blog daily as a small group of us read through the New Testament this year. It's called A String of Pearls. We carry each other on mats (when we just can't walk anymore) to Jesus and sweet things like that.

Followers

My Blog List

Search This Blog

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Site Meter

Especially Designed for Bev by

Photobucket

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008