Monday, October 20, 2008

Monday Morning Cover to Cover.............5 Loaves and 2 Fish and a beautiful God shows up - Mark 6:41

At 1:45pm on Friday, I swallowed and it happened in one swallow, one second. It was like fireworks burst in my throat. I am not being dramatic this time. I experienced the most horrible pain in my throat ever as an adult. My teaching job ended at 2:00pm and I went straight to one of those Minute Clinics and got an antibiotic. I remember having strept throat as a kid but it was nothing like this. A couple of days later and the severe throat pain has subsided but now I have a pain in my back that is simply excruciating. Plus I am still hobbling around on my foot with plantars fasciitis. The verses we read this week mean a lot to me as I face some small pervasive trials.

Matthew 11:28 lingers with me from our reading the chronological readings this week. I am weary and burdened not only physically but with another trial I am facing in my heart. "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." I need to find that place of rest in this scared heart of mine today. "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." I weep as I read these words. They are so for me and so full of hope.

Just as Jesus said to Martha in Luke 10:41 - you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. That's all I need to hear. That's where I need to go. My beautiful God is saying "Come closer." My God wants me to see things more clearly. Two and one-half years ago, I sat in church and my pastor shared a verse that we read this week—Mark 8:24. The blind man was touched by Jesus. What do you see? “I see people—they look to me like trees walking.” I prayed that day that I could see more clearly my Lord and my life for I knew I had been touched by God for the 30 years I followed Him but there were some areas in my life I just couldn't see clearly nor get victory in those areas of self hatred and ambivalence and a poor self image. Three days later, news would come that devastated me and we left the church and friends who loved us and whom we loved so very much. God was healing me and helping me to see more clearly. Sometimes suffering brings sight and release that I would have never found in safety.

Life is hard to understand at times. Are we seeking Him for what He can do for us or just because we love Him so much and want to be in a relationship with Him, no matter what He does for us or through us or in us. Matt 6:26, 27 - "Are you seeking Me because you saw signs or because you ate your fill of the loaves and you want more?" Sometimes I am working way too hard for the food that perishes. "Labor for the food that endures to eternal life."

And I'll end with a story that will remain with me for the rest of my life. It's the story of 5 loaves and 2 fish. Mark 6:41,42. There are areas of my life that unless my beautiful God shows up and changes the 5 loaves and 2 fish into a miracle, then I'll never change. My prayer for you today is this story--- that the God who can feed over 10,000 people with 5 loaves and 2 fish is the same God present for you this moment in whatever you face. May you be filled with His Power and His Presence to believe Him and enter a rest you know not.

13 comments:

ocean mommy 10/20/2008  

Bev, thanks for your prayers.. :)

This post was just beautiful, LOVE that last paragraph.

I'm praying for you too! Praying that God will continue to speak to you and that He will heal your body.

Hugs,
stephanie

Mary Lou 10/20/2008  

Once, again you blessed me with your thoughts. I am so touched by all you wrote. I am so sorry that you are hurting so badly physically. I will be in much prayer for you and your healing. My husband and I agree...what do we want more...more of Him or more of what He can do for us. We are trying a fast of asking for things for ourselves and just praising Him and praying for others. You are my inspiration for sharing that with him. May you enter into His rest very soon. Blessings.

Anonymous 10/20/2008  

Hey Bev. I've been praying for you this day. So sorry you are in such pain. Take the antibiotic and kick this thing, maybe with your good foot...it seems when it rains it pours, as my mother used to say. I love you, my friend, and hope you are resting and finding that peaceful rest that only is from Him. Love you bunches, Annette

Angela Baylis 10/20/2008  

Hi, Bev! I believe there was even some bread left over! He's more than enough to help you! Don't ever forget that! I am SO glad you have this blog so we can pray for you! I'm praying because I know that where two or more are gathered... and the way I see it, He is with us!
Love you,
Angie xoxo

p.s. I hope you feel better soon!

Laura 10/20/2008  

Bev,
I am praying for you through this trial that you spoke of. I pray for healing, dear friend. It sounds like you have found much comfort in these scriptures, and once again I am so thankful that our Father is always with us in our struggles.
You bless, Bev.

connorcolesmom 10/21/2008  

Praying for you to feel better!
Love you sweet Bev!
Kim

Nise' 10/21/2008  

I am sorry that you are not feeling well! Your statement, "Sometimes suffering brings sight and release that I would have never found in safety" speaks so powerfully to me today! Thank you for sharing you heart!!

Super B's Mom 10/21/2008  

You are in my prayers!

Fran 10/23/2008  

Praying that you are feeling SOOOOO much better. Strep throat was always my illness of choice. I know the pain. Praying for you always!

Big hugs,
Fran

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife 10/24/2008  

Poor Bev..I hope you are feeling better!!!

ocean mommy 10/25/2008  

Just checking in to say I'm praying for you! Hope that you are MUCH better and having a wonderful weekend...

Hugs
stephanie

Alana 10/25/2008  

"There are areas of my life that unless my beautiful God shows up and changes the 5 loaves and 2 fish into a miracle, then I'll never change."

Inspired words right there. I get that, I feel that...and when he shows up...it is so beautiful and sweet, isn't it?

Jean 10/25/2008  

Bev, just checking in to see if you are better. We're all still praying for you.

Love, Jean

Praying for Our Friend Joanne Psalm 131:3 Waiting on God. Hope Now. Hope Always.

House of Blessing Tribal Childrens Home

House of Blessing Tribal Childrens Home
"Whoever welcomes a little child in My Name, welcomes Me." Matthew 18:5 We have posted pictures of the orphans receiving their gifts from you. Scroll down to the post entitled "Today Was the Big Day." Many orphans didn't own anything of their own, but now do, because of you.

My Family

My Family
Britt, Blair, Bev, Bob, Brooke, Barrett

Contact

I've met some amazing women through blogging. I would love to hear from you. My personal e-mail is:
sixbrandons@gmail.com
I have another blog where I blog daily as a small group of us read through the New Testament this year. It's called A String of Pearls. We carry each other on mats (when we just can't walk anymore) to Jesus and sweet things like that.

Followers

My Blog List

Search This Blog

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Site Meter

Especially Designed for Bev by

Photobucket

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008