Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Vanity & Blindness


my circumstances right now aren't really great...
so what does that mean?...
some things are not falling into place...
life is piling up more than other days...
our finances haven't fallen into place to return to my son's private school...
continuing to move into the unknown...
but my God keeps knocking at my door and how do you describe that???
He keeps taking my breath away...
and that is so unbelievable...
and i am so thirsty for Who and What really counts...
don't want to live so busy that it separates me from my own thirst much less from my Lord...
been thinking a lot lately about what is really going on in the core of my heart...

been thinking a lot lately about a quote from Beth Moore how a good friend of her's encouraged Beth that she was living not like John 5:39 which says you really do diligently study the Scriptures daily to find life but Beth was living like John 5:40 she was going to God to find life---the verses talk about people who study the Scriptures diligently to find life but yet refuse to come to God for life...here's someone like Beth who lives to study the Word of God and realizes it is all about coming to Him for life and that's what makes her life so attractive for it's all about her going to Jesus where she finds life...

Come to Me...all of you who are ___________
Come to Me for Life...
maybe in terms of the world's view my circumstances aren't going great...
but i am so more aware of my God's presence than ever before...
so that puts my set of circumstances in a much different light...
changing how i view my longings...

Come to Me...

the following devo was in my "inbox" of my E-mail this a.m...i get so much out of the Eldredge devotionals on The Ransomed Heart website...

Counting on Our Vanity and Blindness 08/01/2007
The core of Satan’s plan for each of us is not found in tempting us with obvious sins like shoplifting or illicit sex. These things he uses more as maintenance strategies. His grand tactic in separating us from our heart is to sneak in as the Storyteller through our fears and the wounds we have received from life’s Arrows. He weaves a story that becomes our particular “Message of the Arrows.” Counting on our vanity and blindness, he seduces us to try to control life by living in the smaller stories we all construct to one degree or another. He accuses God to us and us to God. He accuses us through the words of parents and friends and God himself. He calls good evil and evil good and always helps us question whether God has anything good in mind in his plans for us. He steals our innocence as children and replaces it with a blind naïveté or cynicism as adults. At the same time Satan is at work reinterpreting our own individual stories in order to make God our enemy, he is also at work dismantling the Sacred Romance—the Larger Story God is telling—so that there is nothing visible to take our breath away. He replaces the love affair with a religious system of dos and don’ts that parches our hearts and replaces our worship and communion services with entertainment. Our experience of life deteriorates from the passion of a grand love affair, in the midst of a life-and-death battle, to an endless series of chores and errands, a busyness that separates us from God, each other, and even from our own thirstiness. Part of Satan’s grand strategy of separating us from our heart, once Jesus has drawn us to an awareness of being his sons and daughters through believing faith, is to convince us that our heart’s desires are at core illegitimate. (The Sacred Romance , 107–9) by John Eldredge.

2 comments:

Connie Barris 8/01/2007  

I love all of John Eldredge's book and his wife Stasi's book, Captivating... wow... powerful stuff...(I'm going to a conference where he is in Sept... to hear him speak)

Yes, Satan is too smart for the ugly stuff.. He's beautiful and sneaky... we are easily lured into the music of his ways...

Super powerful stuff here.... thank you....

Sharon Brumfield 8/03/2007  

I was telling someone today that it almost has become just words when we say--we walk by faith and not by sight. I would say that is what He is asking you to do right now. Sounds like you are passing the test.
Today we also talked about how satan is the great deceiver. He is so sneaky--just a little truth mixed with lies. God led me to Eph 6 just this morning. We need to know the truth so we recognize the lies of the evil one.
Keep walking girl there are great things up ahead.

Praying for Our Friend Joanne Psalm 131:3 Waiting on God. Hope Now. Hope Always.

House of Blessing Tribal Childrens Home

House of Blessing Tribal Childrens Home
"Whoever welcomes a little child in My Name, welcomes Me." Matthew 18:5 We have posted pictures of the orphans receiving their gifts from you. Scroll down to the post entitled "Today Was the Big Day." Many orphans didn't own anything of their own, but now do, because of you.

My Family

My Family
Britt, Blair, Bev, Bob, Brooke, Barrett

Contact

I've met some amazing women through blogging. I would love to hear from you. My personal e-mail is:
sixbrandons@gmail.com
I have another blog where I blog daily as a small group of us read through the New Testament this year. It's called A String of Pearls. We carry each other on mats (when we just can't walk anymore) to Jesus and sweet things like that.

Followers

My Blog List

Search This Blog

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Site Meter

Especially Designed for Bev by

Photobucket

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008