Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Secret Room




The secret room is officially rented out...


We had lived in our home for over a year when my four children (kindergarten, 1st and 3rd graders plus the toddler) came screaming through the front door in total delight. "There's a secret room in our house Mom! Megan just told us." And they all tore up the stairs as I tried to drop the dishes and scurry after them.

You see, there's a pole at the top of the shoe shelf in the closet. Slide the pole and the shelf opens like a door. NO WAY! Of course, the oldest had the honor and the door creaked as it opened wide revealing a huge carpeted study with intercoms and bookshelves and phone jackets and wires coming out of the ceiling. Quaint. Mysterious. We just inherited another bedroom for the little tod. Woohoo!

So many memories of our children's childhood are crammed in my cranium. But as I said farewell to the secret room last week and welcomed a renter in, a few tears slid down knowing that chapter is closed. I so loved my children growing up. Sometimes I feel regret over missing God in the present moments when they were little. The secret door to my heart was locked in fear of what others thought. But, it's unlocked now. I wish I knew then what I know now about being alive in Christ. What can I do about that? I can celebrate for there is hope for my sin and hope for my future. And I can continue to live in the present and deal with the fray of my own heart and I am so very grateful to our good God!

So celebrate this moment whatever those secret doors to your heart reveal for there is hope. So much hope!

7 comments:

Holly 2/05/2009  

Celebrating!

I have had you on my heart and mind ALL DAY today! Love you, friend!! Miss you much. Praying...
Holly

Joanne : The Simple Wife 2/05/2009  

Really? A secret room you didn't know about? The realtor who sold the house didn't know about? Seems like the kind of thing that only happens in books.

Love the analogy! And the reminder that there is ALWAYS hope. Secure hope.

Joanne

Laura 2/06/2009  

Hi, Bev! I'm catching up on you and just had to comment on this one to say "wow"! That's every kid's dream--to have a secret hideout. So cool. I bet you do have many wonderful memories of it. I love how you move on and give the future to HIm, friend.

You inspire.

Laura

Anonymous 2/09/2009  

You have tangible treasures in your heart. Chapters of our lives close and chapters open--He has a good plan ahead. I am praying for you, for those secret doors to open wide. So much hope and love, Annette

ocean mommy 2/09/2009  

Wouldn't you have loved to see their little faces when they first realized that room was there!

As usual Bev you make me think and ponder a little bit. Thank you. :)

Hugs,
stephanie

Nora 2/19/2009  

Ah, Bev,
It is such a joy to know you. And, each day you teach me things. This little post just revealed a bright light of how you are my secret door. For, I am where you were and my little ones are piddling around. You are my light to the truth. They sure do love the attention and love you shower on them. You are such an angel.^_^

Alana 2/27/2009  

I've always wanted a secret room! So cool! This post made my heart feel like it would burst, because I know it will be a blink of an eye and I will be where you are feeling the same way.

By the way, I love your new blog look, it's totally you! ;-)

Praying for Our Friend Joanne Psalm 131:3 Waiting on God. Hope Now. Hope Always.

House of Blessing Tribal Childrens Home

House of Blessing Tribal Childrens Home
"Whoever welcomes a little child in My Name, welcomes Me." Matthew 18:5 We have posted pictures of the orphans receiving their gifts from you. Scroll down to the post entitled "Today Was the Big Day." Many orphans didn't own anything of their own, but now do, because of you.

My Family

My Family
Britt, Blair, Bev, Bob, Brooke, Barrett

Contact

I've met some amazing women through blogging. I would love to hear from you. My personal e-mail is:
sixbrandons@gmail.com
I have another blog where I blog daily as a small group of us read through the New Testament this year. It's called A String of Pearls. We carry each other on mats (when we just can't walk anymore) to Jesus and sweet things like that.

Followers

My Blog List

Search This Blog

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Site Meter

Especially Designed for Bev by

Photobucket

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008