Saturday, November 15, 2008

Ancho Pepper in my Birthday Pie

Brookie is on U.S. soil somewhere in Texas. She doesn't have a cell phone YET but I bet she'll find one at Wal-Mart! On the way to the big Cajun wedding in Louisiana!!! Claire has found her true love and I hope that the presence of her God overwhelms them all this week! We love you baby Claire and we wish you all the happiness in your humble home and in your passionate life and in the beautiful God Who has so invaded your heart!

This has been the hardest week for me facing and embracing unexpected obstacles and opinions. And my beautiful God just rained down on me this afternoon---Deut 32:2--- as my good friend here took me to lunch for my birthday. Yep, it's tomorrow. We sat on a patio on historic 6th Street and as the sun beat on the top of my head at this turn-of-the-century Victorian house now restaurant, and with a cooler than normal breeze blowing in our faces, the conversation was straight from the God I so adore. My good friend encouraged me more than she'll ever know for right where I am this day. I so want to be further along in my walk with my beautiful God than I am. All He wants is me.

You know, if we just stay connected to Him, all we have to do is let His Beauty pour out of us---Psalm 50:2---and that's what just happened on sixth street. Right straight into this discouraged heart. She gave me a little hope for my solitary path. We all have a vacuum in our hearts and we can't make it alone in this life. No idle words this day, it was God's very life to me. Deut 32:47.

We ate the most decadent delectable chocolate cake for free for Z'Tejas birthday girls. It's called "Z'Tejas Ancho Fudge Pie." And it was unbelievably good! No way you can even taste the ancho peppers but it enhances the chocolate flavor to the utmost. And they even gave me the recipe. Here is a gift for you to cook for Thanksgiving that will make you popular. They say it wins the best dessert contests in Texas and I can see why. Didn't believe it until I tasted it for free. No way I could pay for pepper in my chocolate. The secret ingredient is the ancho peppers---yuk! Who would have ever thought? Wonder if the Indians used ancho peppers in their first Thanksgiving feast? Where do you even buy ancho peppers? What do they look like?? Sounds like "Whole Foods," HERE I COME...
PS - the recipes are on Z-Tejas' website if you want to take a look at their other stuff---I had blackened catfish enchiladas that tasted awesome---their ingredients are their big secrets and they give the recipes away on their site: http://ztejas.com/recipes.html

Z'Tejas Southwestern Grill Ancho Fudge Pie
Ingredients:
1 9-in Deep dish prepared pie crust
2 each Eggs
1/2 cup Flour
1/2 cup White Sugar
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 cup Butter (2 sticks)
1/2 cup Pecans
1/2 cup Walnuts
1 cup Chocolate Chips
3/4 cup Ancho Chile Peppers, ground

Recipe Directions:Ancho peppers are available whole. To grind, soften peppers in water for 30 minutes, drain,grind in blender. Do NOT use chile powder.Preparation:Melt butter and allow to cool. Toast pecans and walnuts in oven on flat sheet until lightly brown.Beat eggs well. Add white flour, white sugar and brown sugar. Mix until smooth. Add coolbutter, mix well.Mix in nuts and chocolate chips. Fold into mixture. Pour into prepared pie crust.Bake at 325 degrees for 45-55 minutes.

Hey, I might as well throw in their Corn Bread recipe too cause people say it's one of the best around. And they have it down to perfection! I'm going to try it this Thanksgiving with all my children coming home with their friends!!! And I am so making "Mocah With Linda"s Baked Potatoes recipe and Melissa's killer nachos.

T'Zejas Corn Bread

Ingredients:
Corn Meal 1 ½ cups
Flour 1 ½ cups
Sugar 1/3 cups plus 1 Tablespoon
Baking Powder 1 tablespoons
Baking Soda 1 tablespoons
Yogurt (plain) 1
Cream Corn 1/3 cups plus 1 Tablespoon
Corn (frozen) 1/3 cups plus 1 Tablespoon
Buttermilk 1 1/2 cups
Eggs 3 each
Butter (melted) 1/3 cups plus 1 Tablespoon
Salt 1/4 teaspoon

Preparation:
Mix all dry ingredients together. In a large mixing bowl, whisk all wet ingredients together.Then add dry ingredients to form batter.Use a small pre-heated skillet, spray with non-stick cooking spray and then fill with 9 oz ofbatter.Bake at 375 degrees for 16 minutes. Rotate at 8 minutes.These recipes prepared by using a convection oven so try 400 degrees in regular oven.Test by using a toothpick in the center of the corn bread. Toothpick should come out clean.

10 comments:

Mary Lou 11/15/2008  

Wow...looks like I get to be first....Happy Birthday. May it be an extra special day. Know you can't wait to see your daughter, she will make your day great. Been there...have that t-shirt. Hearing her voice will be a great gift. Prayed for you today. Will keep praying....know that I am here....looking forward to your thoughts on this week's readings. God is good and He is good all of the time. Praising Him that He was the Lifter of your head today. Be still and KNOW that I AM GOD. He has been saying that to me all week...Love you in Him, Mary Lou

Holly 11/15/2008  

You know what???? I woke up with you and your birthday on my mind. I don't even think I knew the date of it, Bev. I just woke up praying for you and wondering when your birthday was and if I missed it. But no! It's tomorrow!!

SO HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

I wish I could have had lunch with you, too, friend. Praying for you and SO glad for your friend and lunch and hope today. Hold on to the rope of hope, my Bev!

Love and prayers!
Holly

PS My fave restaurant in Austin is Hickory Street Bar and Grill--is it still there? I think it's on 16th street or somewhere there-abouts. We used to have lunch there every Sunday and their black bread was awesome! I'll try and call tomorrow.

Nise' 11/15/2008  

Singing Happy Birthday to You! Good thing you can't hear me sing! It is a sad thing, really.
So glad you enjoyed lunch with a good friend.

Anonymous 11/16/2008  

Blessed birthday to you dear one...it has been a wonderful day today and now I know why now...this is the blessed day that the Creator called you into existence...how blessed are we that He dreamed you up!

I hope you day was wonderful...you would get a couple more hours if you were in my time zone...hee hee.

Love to you,

Helen

Alana 11/16/2008  

Hello friend! Thanks for your sweet comments. I haven't been on the bloglines much lately...or on my blog for that matter. Not sure why, just haven't had the motivation. I was glad to hear from you, though! I hope all is well and you are settling into your new abode.

These recipes look quite intriguing!

Lisa Smith 11/17/2008  

Happy Birthday, Bev!!! I know it's a day late but let's keep the celebration going. :)

ocean mommy 11/17/2008  

I'm a day late!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

Praying that your special day, (and today too) was precious and the Jesus thrilled you....

Hugs
steph.

Lora 11/20/2008  

Happy belated birthday Bev. I am a lurker on your blog. I saw you in San Antonio; but did not get a chance to meet face to face. Your tender heart is so evident in your writing.
Warmly,
Lora

twinkle 11/29/2008  

And I am so late, but I'm wishing you a happy birthday, too! The recipes sound awesome and I'm glad your friend spoke God's encouraging words over you. That is one sweet birthday gift straight from heaven.
Hope you had an awesome thanksgiving...

jennyhope 12/02/2008  

I tagged you and left an award

Praying for Our Friend Joanne Psalm 131:3 Waiting on God. Hope Now. Hope Always.

House of Blessing Tribal Childrens Home

House of Blessing Tribal Childrens Home
"Whoever welcomes a little child in My Name, welcomes Me." Matthew 18:5 We have posted pictures of the orphans receiving their gifts from you. Scroll down to the post entitled "Today Was the Big Day." Many orphans didn't own anything of their own, but now do, because of you.

My Family

My Family
Britt, Blair, Bev, Bob, Brooke, Barrett

Contact

I've met some amazing women through blogging. I would love to hear from you. My personal e-mail is:
sixbrandons@gmail.com
I have another blog where I blog daily as a small group of us read through the New Testament this year. It's called A String of Pearls. We carry each other on mats (when we just can't walk anymore) to Jesus and sweet things like that.

Followers

My Blog List

Search This Blog

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Site Meter

Especially Designed for Bev by

Photobucket

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008